Wednesday, July 29, 2009

What to Do with All That Zucchini

I came in today determined to find a use for zucchini. My farmer accidentally shipped me the wrong size (not baby), and a lot of it, so I really had no choice. Also, I suspect that our farm share at home will be zucchini-heavy for a little while, and this will be a good way - hopefully - for E. to get the kids to eat it. These little pancakes ended up with some South Asian influences in the cumin and turmeric, and while I wasn't expecting to go in that direction, I like how it all turned out. I plan to serve them with turmeric scented creamed corn, a South Asian influenced bbq-like sauce, and hand harvested scallops wrapped in speck. I'll probably work some cilantro in there, too, but Friday's two days away, so no need to worry about that now.

Shrimp & Zucchini Pancakes


Batter

1 1/4 cups buttermilk
2 eggs
1 Tbsp olive oil or melted butter
2/3 cup flour
2/3 cup fine cornmeal
1 Tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black cumin
1 scant tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp baking powder

- whisk together buttermilk, eggs and oil
- stir in remaining ingredients and set aside

The Pancake Guts

1/2 lb zucchini, small dice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup diced cooked shrimp
4 large leaves basil, chiffonade
1 bunch scallions, bottom third only, sliced thin

- toss zucchini with garlic, oil and salt and roast in the oven at 350 for 15 minutes
- combine with remaining ingredients and fold into above pancake batter
- cook pancakes about 2 minutes per side over low to medium heat, or use your favorite pancake cooking style. Everybody has one

No comments:

Post a Comment