Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Corny Eggs

This might seem kind of obvious, but I'd never done it before: pureeing corn with eggs for scrambling or making an omelet. We got an afternoon harvest of corn yesterday and when I came home from work I made a simple corn saute. Then this morning I pureed it with egg substitute and made a scramble. Man it was good! I also came up with a new trick - removing the corn from the cobs with a vegetable peeler. I used one with sharp teeth meant for tomatoes and peppers, and, in the words of my lawyer, it "fulfilled its proxy with grace and aplomb." Seriously - he actually said that to me once. I've never forgotten it. Anyway, what that means in this case is that it removed the kernels and their oh so valuable milk in one fell swoop.

2 ears corn, stripped to the cob with a vegetable peeler - discard cobs or make a corn stock
2 Tbsp butter
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup water - or if you actually made a corn stock, use that
1 cup egg substitute
1/4 tsp salt

- saute corn in butter with salt over medium heat for 5 minutes
- add water and lower heat; cook 5 minutes more
- cool and puree in blender with egg substitute and additional salt
- prepare as you would scrambled eggs or an omelet

No comments:

Post a Comment