Saturday, August 1, 2009

One Perfect Condiment

Full Disclosure: this is not my recipe. But this is a perfect recipe, and as such, needs to be shared. This is my mother's recipe, and it's so good I served it at the Beard House as the true star of my cheese course, just this and fleur de maquis. And that is how I recommend it - with a creamy cheese such as the aforementioned herb smothered Corsican sheep's cheese, or a triple creme like Pierre Robert. On a triscuit.

Sweet & Sour Red Pepper Jam

12 large red peppers
1 Tbsp salt
1 1/2 lbs sugar
2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 lemon

- seed peppers and grind; toss with salt. Set aside 4 hours
- rinse pepper pulp in cold water; dry as best as possible
- combine pepper puld, sugar, vinegar and lemon in a heavy, nonreactive saucepan over medium heat
- bring to a simmer, lower heat and stir frequently until thickened - about 20 minutes

(if canning, this makes 6 each, 6 ounce jars)


No comments:

Post a Comment