Tuesday, August 4, 2009

East Meets West for Breakfast


Lately - and to my utter shock - my son, Owen, has taken a serious interest in cooking. He'll sneak down into the basement and rifle through my 23-year-old collection of Art Culinaire for bedtime reading. Now if we can just get him to eat all that stuff...

Today he wanted to help me make a special breakfast for his mom, so he hit the pantry: bonito flakes, straw mushrooms, soy sauce, turmeric; the fridge: eggs; and the herb garden: chives. I added konbu, salt, mirin and butter and we came up with this cross between British coddled eggs and Japanese Chawanmushi. (I've always had a thing for egg coddlers - I'd collect them if I could ever remember to maintain a collection.)

5 eggs
1 cup prepared dashi (made w/ the konbu and bonito)
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp mirin (use the real thing - like Eden brand)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp turmeric
7 chives, snipped
6 roasted shiitake caps, small dice (instead of the straw mushrooms)
6 thin pats of butter

- whisk together first 7 ingredients and divide between 6 egg coddlers
- divide diced shiitakes between the six coddlers
- top each with a pat of butter and seal the lids
- cook at a low simmer 18 minutes

(sorry for the fuzzy photo - I need to get the camera to the repair shop)






No comments:

Post a Comment